We are living in unprecedented times today with the novel coronavirus pandemic causing fear and uncertainty around the world. This is an event, much like 9/11, that will likely change our way of life in the future. Americans have always proven to be resilient and risen to great challenges, such as this, to move forward better than we ever have before. Recessions have made us more efficient and stronger in business. Terrorist activities have made us more vigilant and secure in our travels. Now, the COVID-19 pandemic will likely make us more cognizant of cleaning, disinfecting, and using new practices such as “social distancing” to avoid the spread of not just this virus but other viruses that will come.
As your trusted Tampa Bay air charter service, Odyssey Airways can assure you that we have always taken the safety and cleanliness of our aircraft and crew seriously. With the spread and concern of COVID-19, we have amplified our, already thorough, aircraft cleaning procedures to ensure that when you choose private jet charter as your primary means of transportation you are receiving the benefits of safe, clean, secure, and private air travel.
Our flight crew has been following the recommendations from the Center of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for enhanced aircraft cleaning procedures. In fact, we even exceed the recommended procedures after each flight. The CDC recommends enhanced aircraft cleaning procedures only when symptomatic passengers have been carried. Since information exists that the spread of this novel coronavirus can be spread without the person showing any symptoms, we have elected to execute the CDC and FAA enhanced aircraft cleaning procedures for every flight. Here is what we are doing to ensure that your private air charter is the safest way to travel.
- After each flight and immediately after passengers disembark, the flight crew begins disinfecting the aircraft using the following EPA-approved cleaning agents for coronavirus:
- Lysol® Disinfectant Wipes (EPA Registration # 777-66) for all hard surfaces to include, but not limited to: tables, plastic and metal parts of the seats, seat belt latches, light and air controls, cabin sidewalls, windows, cockpit area, beverage and snack drawers, coffee pot, plastic passenger briefing cards, door handles, and airstair handles. The instructions for full disinfectant and killing of germs, bacteria, and viruses (known as “contact time”) is for these surfaces to remain wet with the solution for 4 minutes. We ensure that this is accomplished and advise our passengers that our cleaning procedures do require more time between flights because of this.
- Zip-Chem Calla® 1452 (EPA Registration # 1839-168) for all soft surfaces such as leather seats, seat belts and other materials in the aircraft. The contact time for this solution is 10 minutes and is completed a timed cleaning process.
- Lysol® Disinfectant Aerosol Spray (EPA Registration # 777-99) is sprayed in the cabin and into the cabin ventilation system as a final precaution to kill any other airborne bacteria, germs, and/or viruses.
- All trash and waste, including garbage, personal protective equipment (PPE) used by the flight crew, and used wipes that were utilized for the disinfecting of surfaces are discarded from the aircraft.
- The flight crew thoroughly washes their hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol prior to contacting any surfaces in the aircraft and object that will be handled and placed in the aircraft (ie luggage).
- No passengers are loaded onto the aircraft until the entire enhanced cleaning process is completed.
In addition to enhanced cleaning procedures of our aircraft, the flight crew is instructed to not make direct contact with passengers and ground personnel (ie handshaking). Our passenger safety briefings are done with consideration to ensure that we maximize our distance from the passengers, when possible. Our flight crew are instructed to not report to duty if they are symptomatic and/or have any grade fever. Although we follow the FAA’s guidance to minimize the risk to our flight crew and have always ensured the safety and health of all our flight crew members, we understand that this may cause some interruption in service. That is not desirable but know that we are prepared for this possibility and will not jeopardize the health and safety of you or our flight crew members.
At Odyssey Airways, we have always prided ourselves on our personalized, comfortable, and friendly service. Fortunately, the CDC hasn’t recommended us to avoid smiling, offering a friendly salute, and providing exceptional customer service. Because of that, we will not allow the need for social distancing to sacrifice exceptional customer service or lessen the private air travel experience you come to expect from us.
We will get through this crisis together. There will still be a need to travel through these tough times. When you absolutely must do so, please know that we are here for you to provide the safest and cleanest way to travel by private air charter.
Stay safe and healthy when at home. We will keep you safe and healthy when you travel.
“The tests we face in life's journey are not to reveal our weaknesses but to help us discover our inner strengths. We can only know how strong we are when we strive and thrive beyond the challenges we face.” - Kemi Sogunle